Winter weather is officially here and I am officially over it. We all know in Los Angeles, when the winter season hits…it hits. The temperature drops drastically and we rack up heat bills to stay warm. Im done!
The only thing I like about winter season is baking desserts that make my whole house smell like Heaven. Cookies and cakes seem like an appropriate treat to usher in a season of rain, snow, and for the Holidays . Especially if they are warm and pair well with a hot chocolate, tea or coffee.
Lemon Poppy Seed anything is the best thing I tried in 2020. The flavors in this dessert is out of this world. This recipe makes tender, moist cake and cookies that are full of lemon flavor and poppy seeds! The mini cakes are covered in a light lemon glazed, fresh lemon zest and more which is perfect for lemon lovers!
To make this amazing cakes and cookies, start with both butter and sugar. The butter lends that wonderful flavor, while the sugar helps with keeping the cake sweet and moist. The recipe makes either 30 cookies or 14 mini cakes. I wanted to make both so I made 8 cookies and 6 cakes. Best part of this recipe is that the cookie and cake have the same recipe, nothing needs to be changed.
Cakes + Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, plus extra for garnish
- 3-6 drops of yellow food coloring; optional
- 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- the zest of one lemon (or more!)
- 1 tbsp of milk ( whatever you like)
Cakes + Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Spray Baking Loaf Mini Pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Add a sheet of parchment paper on sheet pan for cookies, set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3+ minutes. Scrape the bowl and beat in the egg, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, poppy seeds, and yellow food coloring. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add in the flour mixture. Scrape the bowl, then mix until well combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the baking loaf pan. Sprinkle the tops with extra poppy seeds. Same goes for the cookies and make sure the are at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake them both for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just barely golden. Then let them both cool in pan for 5 minutes before moving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week
- Add all ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Step by step pictures below.