Let’s face it, carbs are not always are best friends. However I have to admit that when it comes to eating carbs, I tend to over indulge. One of my favorite dishes to devour is pasta. In addition, I love my pasta to be like me, thick and rich.
This pasta recipe is fun, simple and it only has two ingredients. All you need is Low Moisture Mozzarella Cheese and an egg, which you can find at your local Dollar Store.
Note: This pasta recipe is inspired by Buzzfeed Tasty.
You are probably thinking isn’t that just Cheese Pasta?? Yes, but I swear it will be the best pasta you ever had! Trust me when you make this, it will no longer just melty cheese and it will taste more like pasta rather than just cheese.
For the sauce, you have three options I recommend. 1. You can make it from scratch.
2. You can buy pasta sauce.
3. You can buy small canned tomato sauce and season it they way you want to. (This is the method I did.)
I season my tomato sauce with …
- Garlic Powder (tsp)
- Onion Powder (tsp)
- Dry Basil (tsp)
- Ground Pepper (tsp)
- Salt (pinch)
- Cayenne Pepper (tsp)
- Make sure to use pre-shredded part skim low moisture mozzarella. Regular mozzarella has too much moisture.
net carbs: 3g
For garnish, I used Basil because the taste is a balance between sweet and savory, with hints of mint, anise, and pepper. The best! Now this is optional, but highly recommended.
- 1 cup shredded part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- Add the mozzarella to a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until cheese is completely melted.
- Allow the mozzarella to cool for 45 seconds minute, so that it will not cook the egg.
- Add in egg yolk and using a rubber spatula and mix into the cheese, until you have a uniform yellow dough.
- Place your dough on a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Place another parchment paper on top of the dough. (Use pictures above for reference)
- Use a rolling pin over the top piece of parchment paper, and roll dough until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment and cut the dough into ½ inch wide strips. Refrigerate the pasta for at least 6 hours or overnight. Overnight is strongly recommended.
- When ready to cook, bring a pot of water to boil. Add in pasta. Cook for about 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Note: Be careful not to cook too long, because the pasta will lose its form, break down and become a melted cheese mess.
- Remove pasta from pot and run under cold water to cool it down. Gently separate strands sticking together.
- Allow pasta to cool until it is only slightly warm to the touch. When the pasta cools, it will firm back up.
- Add you pasta sauce and garnish. Enjoy.
- Allow pasta to cool before serving, so that the noodles firm up again after they are cooked.
- Your noodles must be completely dried in the fridge before attempting to cook them. Keep them uncovered in the fridge for at least 6 hours, but I prefer overnight.
- Keep the pasta in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. Don’t let them sit out too long at room temperature before cooking them.