One of my favorite Fall recipes I made last year, was Pumpkin Spice Apple Pie Cupcakes. I love the flavors of pumpkin and apple in a dessert. These cupcakes are the perfect combination of a warm pumpkin and apple pie in your mouth.
For the filling, you can make the apple pie filling from scratch or you can save time and buy it pre-made from the store. Either way, it’s still very delicious.
Also. since this cupcakes are very filling, I decided to use a light frosting on top. I used store bought whipped cream and it’s phenomenal.
Can you use any other kinds of frosting for this pumpkin cupcake recipe?
Yes you can. You can use….
1. Cream Cheese Frosting
2. Cinnamon Cream Frosting
3. Buttercream Frosting
4. Pumpkin Spice Frosting
How do you store pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting?
Both the cupcakes and the frosting (if you decide to make it from scratch) can be made up to two days ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator, tightly covered, until ready for assembly.
The cupcakes store best in an airtight container for up to three days, but after assembly, we recommend you store these cupcakes in the refrigerator because the frosting contains dairy.
Now, if you are not eating or serving all the cupcakes, there is no need to add whipped cream to all. However, still store in in the refrigerator.
Let’s get started
Prep Time: 13 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 33 minutes
Yields: 12 cupcakes
Note: Double recipe to make 24
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 can (7.5 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
1 can apple pie filling
1 can whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin. Combine flour, pie spice, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and ginger; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using a small teaspoon carve out one whole in the center of the each cupcake. Fill in the whole with apple pie filling
- Frost with canned whipped cream and garnish with optional cinnamon stick.
Filling and Frosting: