One of my food weakness when I go to any carnival, are Funnel Cakes! They are so warm and sugary and it just melts my heart! Even though, I do enjoy devouring them, I enjoy making them from scratch.
There is not perfect time than right now during the festive Holidays! I love my funnel cakes topped with strawberry filling, powdered sugar, fresher sliced strawberry and mint leaves! Yes I do devour the mint leaves!
In this recipe, it’s all about the versatile Strawberry Filling. If you want my oh so famous funnel cake recipe, click here.
In this funnel cake recipe, you don’t need ground cinnamon or sugar for coating.
Click Here For Full Recipe For Funnel Cakes
What makes this Strawberry Filling versatile?
This strawberry filling is an ultimate ingredient that works excellent in endless dessert recipes.
- Cake Filling
- Tart Fillings
- Fruit Tart
- Ice Cream
- French Toast
Can I use fresh or frozen Strawberries?
Yes, you can use either or. I love using frozen because it less time consuming than using fresh.
Tip for Using Fresh Strawberries:
• Wash, clean, and remove the stalk and core from strawberries. Chop them into equal size pieces
Tips for Using Frozen Strawberries:
If you do use frozen strawberries, make sure to check if they are sweetened or unsweetened. Since some frozen brands have sugar added as a preservative. You can still use them, and yet reduce the sugar as appropriate for the recipe.
Also, when using frozen you may need a little less water. You can take out the additional water and add only sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Once the sugar dissolves adjust water if necessary.
Let’s get started….
Prep Time: 5
Cookie Time: 5
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 3 Cups
Funnel Cakes (Yield 6)
- 1 lb Strawberries**
- ½ cup White sugar
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 cup Water (divided)**
- Pinch of Salt
**Note: If using frozen strawberries, no need to add 1 cup of water.
- Fresh Strawberries: Wash, clean, and remove the stalk and core from the strawberries. Chop them into equal size pieces.
- Place strawberries in a saucepan with half the water, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. If using frozen strawberries, no need to add water!
- Place it on medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved shaking the pan to cook evenly.
- Continue to cook a minute more, then, use a potato masher and mash the strawberries. This creates a softer smoother textured filling
- Add cornstarch to the remaining water and stir well. Add it to the strawberries.
- Continue to cook on medium – the mixture will thicken and looks shinny.
- When mixture is shinny and thick enough to coat the back of a spatula or wooden spoon, you know it’s ready.
- Remove from heat – Pour into a mason jar. Let cool completely before adding it on top of warm funnel cakes.
- While the filling is cooling down, this is a great time to start making the dinners cakes.
- Then on top each warm funnel cakes with strawberry filling, powdered sugar and, mint leaves and sliced strawberries. I like to stack my funnel cakes with two layers!
- You can add whipped cream too! Get fancy!
Did you make this?
Tag me on Instagram @eatwhateveryouwant and hashtag #eatwhateveryouwant