Crazy enough, I thought I had this recipe already added on here. Sadly, I found out today it wasn’t. Let me introduce you to my recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting.
I made this classic recipe in 2020 with a twist. The twist is that I added lemon zest + poppy seed on top of the whipped cream frosting and I added strawberry jam in the middle. Mouthwatering for sure!
Yes, you can make this recipe the easy way with yellow box cake to save time, or you can make it from scratch. When you make it from scratch, the testier is more light and fluffy. You can surely taste the the difference.
How to make the perfect cupcakes?
- Make sure your ingredients are at Room Temperature.
- When baking, try to make sure pans never touch each other or the sides of the oven
- After you place cupcakes in oven, try decrease temperature by 25 degrees.
By doing these things in conjunction with a reliable recipe, you are guaranteed cupcake success!
Quick Room Temperature Eggs
Room temperature ingredients are important here. To quickly get your sour cream and eggs to room temp you can place them in a bowl of hot water for 1-2 minutes. (make sure the sour cream container is tightly sealed).
Let’s get started…
PREP TIME 20 MINS
COOK TIME 16 MINS
TOTAL TIME 36 MINS
Yields: 12 Cupcakes or 9 Muffin Size
- 12 tbsps unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Eggs room temperature**
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sour cream, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
**Note: To get a half of an egg measure by weight. Place an empty bowl on top of your scale and reset it to 0. Crack your egg into the bowl and take note of the weight in grams. Most large eggs, on average, will weigh about 50g.Scramble the egg well in the bowl. Using a spoon, scoop out the some of the scrambled egg into another bowl.Continue to do this until the weight on the scale is half of what you started with. So in my case, 50 divided by 2 = 25.And voila! You have have successfully halved an egg!
- 1/4-1/2 cup of Strawberry Jam
Whipped Cream Frosting
• 8 ounces cream cheese
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 2 3/4 cups heavy cream, cold
- 9-12 Strawberries; halves
- 3 Rosemary Stems; optional
- 2 Pinches Poppy Seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup Lemon Zest
- 9-12 Lemon pieces; optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on medium-low, add the eggs 1 at a time, allowing them to incorporate before adding next.
- With mixer off, add the vanilla, almond extract, and sour cream. Turn mixer on low until incorporated then high for about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift at least 2 times.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer and finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop or a measuring tablespoon, divide batter into cupcake pans. About 2 1/2 tbsp; 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until cupcake springs back when pressed in the center.
- After is bakes, place on counter to cool, before frosting or filling. About 20-30 minutes.
- Then using a tsp measurement, scoop out wholes in the center of each cupcake.
- Add strawberry jam to a small ziploc bag, seal, cut the tip and fill in each whole with strawberry jam.
- Use the insides you dug out to recover holes or if you choose not to use, eat it or throw away.
- Place the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Turn the mixer down to medium-low speed and pour the heavy cream down the side of the bowl in a very slow and steady stream, stopping every now and then to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula.
- When all the cream has been added, turn the mixer up to medium-high and whip until the frosting holds stiff peaks.
- Add to pipping bag with a star tip of choice, then frost each cupcake.
- Garnish each cupcake with lemon zest, poppy seeds, rosemary steams. strawberry slice and lemon piece.
Did you make this?
Tag me on Instagram @eatwhateveryouwant and hashtag #eatwhateveryouwant